The 8th Congressional District of Arizona is holding a special election on April 24th, 2018 for the U.S. House of Representatives in which you have the chance to vote and make history!
The election will be held to replace Arizona Rep. Trent Franks. He resigned on December 8, 2017 over sexual misconduct allegations in December.
Franks allegedly made unwanted advances towards the female staffers of his office. He approached two female staffers about becoming potential surrogates for him and his wife but the aides were concerned that they were basically being asked to have sexual relations with him (instead of exercising other surrogacy options as in vitro) .
I only say allegedly because I am protecting whatever coin I can keep as I am not trying to get sued. However, the man acknowledged he had these discussions with women/female staffers seeking a pregnancy surrogate but denies all other allegations.
He resigned from Congress January 31st, 2018 after it was announced an ethics investigation would take place. He blamed the situation on “the current cultural and media climate .”
Who are the candidates
Either Republican Debbie Lesko or Democrat Hiral Tipirneni will replace the disgraced former Rep. Trent Franks. Lesko spent nine years in the Arizona Legislature and backs conservative policies favored by Trent Franks and President Trump. Tipirneni has experience in health care as she is a physician and would be a political newcomer that wants universal health care coverage and wants to block Republican efforts to cut into programs like Social Security and Medicare . Here are some of the issues straight from each candidates platforms:
- Women’s Reproductive Rights – She votes to prohibit any federal funding abortion
- Healthcare – This issue does not appear on her website
- Education – She is an advocate of empowering private schools and charter schools
- 2nd Amendment – She is a staunch supporter of gun rights and has been consistently endorsed by the NRA during her time in the Arizona legislature
- Border Security – She supports Trumps plan to build the wall by increasing more agents and technology
- Women’s Reproductive Rights – She believes elected representatives should support policies that support women’s reproductive rights that are safe, legal, and rare. She also explicitly states that on is ever “pro-abortion” and that one is either pro-choice or anti-choice.
- Healthcare – She envisions expanding choices in healthcare and allowing free-market to drive down costs
- 2nd Amendment – She believes Americans should be able to obtain firearms to protect their homes through legal channels. She believes gun violence should be addressed as a public health issue and feels we must find a path for both the 2nd amendment and common sense gun safety reform.
- Education – believes that traditional college and trade education should be more affordable so student loan debt is reduced
- Border Security – believes that American citizens deserve an accountable immigration system that provides a clear, affordable path to immigrants that qualify for citizenship. However, she believes the two ideas are not mutually exclusive and money for Trump’s wall could be spent better on other border security measures
You can find more information on her webpage [hiralforcongress.com] by clicking here and on her twitter page [ ] by clicking here
Why Your Vote Matters
The 8th district covers the West Valley from New River south to Goodyear and from Peoria west past the Sun cities. It includes Luke Air Force Base within Maricopa County.
In normal circumstances/times it would be expected for conservatives to win this district as Sun City is an area where retirees live and who typically vote Republican. However due to the special elections that we have seen take place this year all eyes are on this election in two weeks as Democrats have been winning in conservative districts such as what happened in Pennsylvania in March . You can read more about the results of that special election that happened by clicking here. Or do you remember what happened in Alabama? Black voters were key to propelling Doug Jones to victory for his Alabama win . And let me emphasize, BLACK WOMEN were pivotal voters in that election! We showed up and showed out! You can read more about that by clicking here.
In summary, if you don’t like the landscape of what we see everyday now then know this…folks did not show up to the polls for the 2016 election. If you have learned nothing else just know that your voice matters and you can ask the citizens of Alabama and Pennsylvania who it worked out to SHOW UP TO THE POLLS! But also hold these elected officials accountable!
Calling all Westsiders
Again, the 8th Congressional district consists of the following Arizona cities – parts of Anthem, Avondale, El Mirage, Glendale, Goodyear, Litchfield Park, New River, Peoria, Phoenix, the Sun Cities, Surprise and Youngtown.
If you live within these areas of the 8th district you can find out by going to this website – https://recorder.maricopa.gov/pollingplace/ or by clicking here.
You must be:
- a registered voter
- registered to a political party
Register to Vote
If you are not able to vote in this special election and want to make sure you can in the next one, please make sure to register to vote by clicking here – https://vote.gov/
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.